Saturday, November 22, 2008

Book'em Danno...

Book Club Night.

So my afore mentioned dislike of weather other than 75 degrees and sunny forces me to be a bit more creative during these winter months. Whereas I would normally be trekking all over the city in search of anything unexpected, I now hunker down and become one with my bear-like hibernating instincts. That's why this time of year is perfect to start a book club. Because reading a book on the weekend makes the fact that you never left your apartment all day seem less lazy...you are broadening your literary horizons...

My new book club will go a little something like this:


Our first book will be Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier because it's a classic with just enough romance and intrigue.
As an invitation to join my club, my closest gal pals would receive their own customized bookmark by Nature Made Scents. I'd also include one of the DWR Book Review Notebooks so that all of my guests could jot down their thoughts before we meet.
For our actual meeting, I'd serve tartines and kir royales as an homage to the first part of the book when Rebecca meets Maxim in France. For dessert, we would nosh on pumpkin & gingerbread ice cream sandwiches with cups of winter earl grey tea from a lovely tea service to give our nod to where the book ends at Manderley.
All of this eating will occur while we watch Hitchcock's classic movie that is based on the book. And the lovely Shapeway's candle holders will round out the aesthetic by being customized with the names of the main characters in the book. Sounds like fun to me! --a

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

That sounds like a book club I'd like to join!

Stephanie Nikolopoulos said...

Love all the thoughtful touches that go with your theme! We just read Nathaniel Philbrick's "Mayflower" in my book club so I brought cornbread because I figured the Pilgrims and Puritans ate a lot of corn so it would be appropriate. Everyone was rather amused by my thought-process of what food to bring, but I love a good theme!