Thursday, February 26, 2009

Go Bananas

Food.

I know, I know, food again. But these are so cute, I couldn’t resist. I am a sucker for a dessert in a jar and when it is a childhood favorite what could be better? Hip Hostess has served chocolate mousse in a jar complete with a lid and ribbon which gets a great response and is perfect for a bridal or baby shower. I can’t wait to try this recipe from Screen Doors and Sweet Tea: Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook as an alternative. I love the bright color, the Nilla wafer polka dots and the meringue topper pulls the whole look together.


Banana Pudding

Pudding:
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large egg yolks
2 cups whole milk
1/2 vanilla bean, split or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 inch piece of cinnamon stick
Vanilla wafer cookies (good quality)
4 medium bananas, peeled and sliced

Topping:
4 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
5 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pudding:
Bring 2 cups of water to boil in heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. In large stainless steel bowl, whisk together sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in egg yolks, followed by milk, vanilla bean, nutmeg and cinnamon. Place bowl over pan of water and cook, stirring until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon and vanilla bean. Rinse vanilla bean and reserve for another use. If using vanilla extract, stir it in now.

While pudding is still warm, layer cookies, bananas and pudding in 1/2 pint canning jars or ramekins.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Topping:
Whisk egg whites in electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Add cream of tartar and slowly increase speed as egg whites become opaque. Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Add vanilla extract. Whip until whites form a soft peak. Spoon meringue over warm puddings, sealing it to sides of jars.

Bake puddings for 4 minutes or until meringue is puffed and brown. Cool on rack for 20 minutes, then refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these. I'm going to make them the next time I host a brunch.

Pam Archer said...

I love this idea! Banana pudding is one of my favorite desserts. I can't wait to do this the next time I have company.