Thursday, October 22, 2009

Vintage Treats

Halloween Idea.

There is no question that the 80's are back. Every store that I walk by is paying a not so subtle homage to the era of big hair, tight pants, and bold colors. Some of these trends I am willing to accept again, some of them are staying buried in my parent's basement with my Tiffany & Debbie Gibson tapes. But I think there is an area of 80's culture that is being ignored...

Brandi and I recently made a trip to one of my favorite stores on the Lower East Side, Economy Candy. This place is like walking into a time warp of treats. Candy cigarettes, Big League Chew, Pop Rocks, Fun Dip, Bottle Caps...the list goes on and on. After 20 minutes of reminiscing about all of the saccharine selections, I became convinced that I had to come up with a reason to buy a boatload of these "old time" treats.


Well what better reason is Halloween?!? My Halloween party goers are all just big kids from the 80's like me and my husband. So while our focus for the evening will be costumes and libations, you better bet I'm sending my peeps home with something slightly different than the customary mini chocolate bar assortment. And if they get half as excited about Fruit Stripe Gum as I did, I'll have done my duties as a hostess.



4 comments:

courtney said...

Oh my gosh. Fun dip. That has to be one of my all time favorite sweets ever. Then again, what's not to love about dipping a sugar stick into powdered flavor sugar? Pure tasty genius!

too bad I always ate my sticks too quickly... :)

Melesha said...

That is an awesome idea to give out vintage candy brands to kids. Bet you won't give out the candy cigarettes.

Michelle said...

I LOVE vintage candy! I must be old if some of this candy is vintage now. I grew up on lemon heads and sugar daddies, and the candy cigs (that are so inappropriate now) remember Cry babies?

Unknown said...

What a great idea. I'm totally going to put together little grab bags of candy for our guests too. I wonder if there is somewhere to get cool little vintage candies around Eugene.